Sunday, April 24, 2011

Reading Response- Final

Another semester almost over! The knowledge gained from chapter 10 in Steering the Craft has proved invaluable for me. This chapter over crowding and leaping has helped me gain confidence in my writing approach. I have felt uncomfortable in my prose writing this semester. I think this is partly due to me trying to shape a story the way I think it should. After reading this chapter and subsequently researching the short short/flash/ prose poetry genres I feel more secure in the relevancy of my writing. I no longer feel inclined to shape my writing into the styles of respected peers or my preconceived ideas of what prose is. I worry a great deal about transitions, but maybe a smooth transition is not always needed. My favorite quote from the chapter is one that will stay with me for the foreseeable future; "And what you leave out is infinitely more that what you leave in" (142).

No comments:

Post a Comment