Sunday, April 17, 2011
Reading Response# 19
Chapter nine on indirect narration in Steering the Craft felt like it was directed straight at my writing. Standing out most is, "Unceasing violent action is usually a sign that there is, in fact, no story being told" (117). Up to this point, I feel most my prose writing has been focused on poorly attempting to replicate H.S. Thompson or Bret Ellis-like deranged characters while mostly avoiding telling any story. I need to work on actually telling a story. I keep reading about how I should let the story write itself, but so far I have had little luck. Anytime I get an idea, it usually fizzles out within the first page. I despise most of what I write and don't feel like any of it is worth reading. I guess I need to work on finishing a piece, however horrible it is, just to make progress.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment