Sunday, March 27, 2011

Reading Response #13


Repetition. I remember very well those many years ago in grade school where the non-rule quoted in chapter 4 of Steering the Craft, “never use the same word twice in one paragraph” was drilled over my head over and over. I’m sure most of the time my repetitions did sound awkward but I’m sure other times they made a point. I know you have to know the rules before you break them and all that jazz, but sometimes old habits die hard.

As far as structural repetition goes, I really haven’t had much of a chance to utilize it yet since I’ve been unable to form a lengthy (or complete) enough short story to do so. I do enjoy catching the structural repetitions in the novels I read and would definitely enjoy trying my hand at it. While I haven’t done the exercises suggested in our reading, I believe they will be useful when the time comes to make my attempt at replicating the device.

No comments:

Post a Comment