Sunday, March 20, 2011

Reading Response #10

Richard Brautigan's "1/3, 1/3, 1/3" was a fun story to read beginning our section on prose. It is a provocative story that really explores several topics that we have discussed so far in our other required reading. I enjoyed the twist of the story turning into one of irony. From the way the story began, I thought the typist may have been scammed or something to that effect. This unique approach is something I would like to incorporate in my own work.

The author also did an excellent job in painting vivid descriptions of the characters. My favorite aspect was the use of local dialect to describe the "book" in the story. This use really helps create humor by contrasting it with how serious the "book" is alluded to in the story. Hopefully I can learn to mimic and eventually make-my-own these devices in prose writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment