Monday, February 21, 2011

Junkyard- New Old Stuff

You keep your mouth shut or I'm going to come over there and slap your face. You're not talking to Dusty Rhodes buddy, you're talking to a couple of men. - Ric Flair( the guy who I loved growing up and who inspired me to participate in real wrestling)

I've been thinking a great deal about oration and delivery in poems lately, and quite frankly I can't stop turning back to the "professional" wrestling I grew up watching as a child(before it turned to too much script). Ric was always my favorite, and his improv skills were second to none. I enjoyed his ridiculous over-the-top hubris and boisterous nature on the stage. I still enjoy it now(Ric). I would really like to be able to develop a poem that captures the essence of his performance: pride, shamelessness, ego-driven, wild, womanizing, materialism-exalting, and entertaining( I could go on, but you get the point!) I don't know if it is even possible to use words to capture live performance to the degree I desire, but I think that is my new project. Link below if you would like to see what makes me smile!(My favorite part is near the end with Ric's 'Space Mountain' quote)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szKcLNmM1j8

No comments:

Post a Comment