Saturday, January 29, 2011

Reading Response #1


One of my favorite aspects of the first chapter in Writing Poetry is how the authors attempt to take away the mystic and inaccessibility of poetry. I have never considered myself a writer, or a poet. When I was younger, I found it to be an admirable skill, but not one I needed (at least on an artistic level). Through my life and its many ups and downs, I am changed. I feel as if I have a story to tell, many stories perhaps.

I believe I have the experiences I deem necessary to have an effect on people and their lives. I have never really known where to start, until now. I have a guide that will aid in my pursuit of effectively communicating with people in script.  My favorite quote, “Part of a practicing poet’s job involves learning not to be duped by the readable finished product of published poems. In a way, poems are con artists, magicians that keep their process secret”. I am relieved by this bold statement. With hard work and inspiration, I can do great things.

No comments:

Post a Comment