It’s dark. The only light is from the brilliant beam centered on the mat in the middle of the gym. I’m nervous, as usual. Hands cold and clammy, my stomach is in knots. This is the moment I have sought since a child, so why can’t I seem to focus. Yet another trip is made to the restroom to urinate and vomit. The time is getting close. I can win, I can beat this guy, I’ve done it before. I can’t hinder the doubt though. It’s slowly seeping its way into my conscious, the paranoia is poisoning.
“This is your last opportunity, what if you fail?”
“He’s physically superior to you, one wrong move and it is over.”
“Why are you doing this?”
“What do you have to prove?”
“They don’t want to see you win.”
“Maybe you’re not meant to win.”
Time’s up. My name is announced and I must report to the mat. I’ve worked so hard…
No comments:
Post a Comment